The Testing Center is moving to Residence Hall A (next to Keefe Health Center) as of Monday, March 6, 2023.
Testing Center Hours
Monday: 8am- 4:30pm
Tuesday: 7am- 11am
Wedneday: 7am- 11am
Thursday: 1pm- 5pm
Friday: 1pm- 5pm
We expect all members of the community to take responsibility for testing when they are symptomatic. Anyone who wishes to test more frequently is welcome to do so – it’s free and available at the Testing Center.
Testing is recommended for anyone who learns that they are a close contact of someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or who has traveled extensively, particularly on public transportation. The College continues to track reported cases of COVID-19 on our campus, but we are no longer contact tracing. If you test positive for COVID-19, you are asked to reach out to anyone with whom you have recently had close contact and encourage them to monitor themselves for symptoms and get tested if they feel symptomatic.
Members of the community who test positive for COVID-19 should report their results to the College via the Self-Reporting Form.
We are prepared to return to surveillance testing if we experience a significant increase in cases.
New Testing Platform and Process
The College transitioned to a new online interface for managing PCR test administration and results on Monday, September 19. The new platform is provided by Color. Learn more about the transition to the Color platform. The Broad Institute created this partnership and will continue to process our tests with an expected turnaround time of 24 hours.
During the week of September 12, students, faculty and staff received an email with a link to create their online Color account.
What to Expect
- Test kits may be picked up at and returned to the Testing Center when it is open. Please be sure to confirm these hours as they may change.
- You may complete your PCR test sociallly distanced anywhere, but completed kits must be returned to the Testing Center within the same day you collect your sample and activate your kit. You may still choose to test at the Testing Center.
- “Activating” the kit is the online process of linking your test sample to your personal Amherst Color account. This must be done each time you test.
- Detailed self-swab instructions are included within each test kit.
- Results are expected within 24 hours. You will be notified by text and email when they are available in your Color account.
- Anyone who may need assistance with PCR testing or test kit activation may come to the Testing Center, where staff are available to walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
How to Create a Color Account
- Create your Color account by following these step-by-step instructions.
- Watch the five minute video about Account Creation, Activation, and Collection to get an overview of the process.
- Please note that Amherst College students, faculty and staff must use the Single-Sign-On method at www.color.com/SSO with their Amherst login to create their accounts and activate test kits. The URL for SSO login is slightly different from what is shown in the video.
- Eligible participants without an Amherst login (e.g., contractors, guests) will create their account at www.home.color.com using the email address at which they received their testing eligibility notice.
- Note that you will be returning your kit to a designated collection site (the Testing Center).
- If you are having difficulty with any of these steps, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Testing Center for assistance.